Last Updated on November 28, 2023 by Erik Sullivan
There’s nothing like a good old fashioned family meal around the dinner table. But if your tablecloth is wrinkled, it can ruin the whole experience. Overtime, it can become an eyesore of you and your family members.
In this post, we’ll walk you through a few simple but highly effective hacks and methods that can help you to get wrinkles out of flannel backed vinyl tablecloth.
Table of Contents
How to Get Wrinkles Out of Flannel Backed Vinyl Tablecloth?
Vinyl tablecloths are made of synthetic fiber which is a kind of plastic. They’re often backed by polyester fabric which is one of the most sensitive fabric in the world. However, they’re highly durable and stain-resistant.
But, they get creases and folds during transport, and heavy uses. To get those creases and wrinkles out of your vinyl tablecloth, you need to be very careful. Because, both vinyl and polyester are very sensitive, you can easily damage the tablecloth if you apply any wrong technique to remove wrinkles.
The following methods are battle tested and 100% safe for your flannel backed vinyl tabletop. Let’s begin with the easiest method:
Hanging the vinyl tablecloth in direct sunlight (The Easiest method to get wrinkles out of a large tablecloth)
This is the easiest and most effective method to remove wrinkles from an extra-large vinyl tablecloth. Simply hang the tablecloth in direct sunlight for a few hours. The sun will provide enough heat that penetrates the tablecloth fibers to loosen and cause the wrinkles to eventually disappear. The gravity also play a vital role in this process by straightening them out.
How to get wrinkles out of tablecloth without ironing (Hot Towel Method)
This method is also quite effective in removing wrinkles from your vinyl tablecloth. Simply wet a microfiber towel with hot water in a small container. Next, remove the towel from the container and squeeze out the extra water from it. Too much water can damage the fabric.
Now, lay the damp towel over the wrinkled area of the tablecloth. Leave it for a few minutes then remove the towel. You should see the wrinkles start to disappear. Be cautious when pulling out the towel from hot water.
Using dryer to remove stubborn wrinkles from vinyl tablecloth
If you have a dryer, you can use it to remove wrinkles from your vinyl tablecloth. However, before putting it into a dryer, make sure that it’s free of any kind of greasy spots.
First, set the dryer on the permanent press setting (recommended for synthetic fabrics) and then, put the tablecloth into it. Add a few clean towels along with the tablecloth to help speed up the process.
Let it run for 4-5 minutes. And Remove the tablecloth from the dryer and place it in the table before getting cool.
Remove wrinkles form tablecloth with a flat iron
Vinyl tablecloths are sensitive to high heat, but still you can use a steam iron to remove wrinkles from it. Follow these steps to get the job done quickly and efficiently:
- Before you using iron on your vinyl tablecloth make sure it’s clean and free of dust.
- Set your iron to the right setting that is safe for the vinyl tablecloth. In most cases, synthetic settings will work just fine for most types of delicate fabrics. If there’s no specific setting available in your iron, you can select the lowest heat setting.
- Place the tablecloth on an ironing board; flip the flannel side up. If you don’t have an ironing board, you can also lay the tablecloth out on a clean, flat surface like a countertop or a table.
- Place a damp towel over the wrinkles. The steam from the towel will help to loosen the fabric and make it easier to iron out the wrinkles.
- Begin ironing at the center of the tablecloth and work your way outwards. Make sure to move the iron fast to avoid damaging the fabric.
- Once you’ve removed all the wrinkles, hang the tablecloth up to dry. Do not fold it until it is completely dry to avoid creating new wrinkles.
Using a garment steamer
Many people often asked a question – Can you use a steamer on plastic or vinyl tablecloth? Yes! You can use a clothes steamer on your vinyl tablecloth to remove wrinkles and fold lines. Here’s the details process:
Step 1: Hang your tablecloth on a clothesline or over a shower curtain. If you don’t have either of these things, you can lay the tablecloth out on a flat surface.
Step 2: Fill your steamer with water and turn it on.
Step 3: Use minimum heat setting of your handheld steamer. Make sure the steam nozzle is not too close to the tablecloth.
Step 4: Apply steam by moving it back and forth.
Step 5: Once you’re finished steaming, allow the tablecloth to air dry before using it on the table for your next event.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you iron a flannel backed tablecloth?
Yes, You can iron a flannel backed tablecloth. Just make sure to set the lowest setting and iron the soft side (flip side) of the tablecloth to avoid any damage.
Can you put a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth in the dryer?
Yes, you can put a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth in the dryer to remove wrinkles. However, you should use the lowest heat setting possible to avoid damage to the fabric. Additionally, it’s a good idea to place a towel or other similar item in the dryer with the tablecloth to help protect it from high temperatures.
Can you wash flannel backed vinyl tablecloths?
Yes, you can wash flannel backed vinyl tablecloths. However, you should avoid using harsh detergents or bleach, as this could damage the vinyl and cause it to warp or peel. Instead, opt for a mild detergent or soap and lukewarm water. Be sure to rinse the tablecloth thoroughly before hanging it to dry.
What should I do if the wrinkles persist after using these methods?
If wrinkles persist, consider laying the tablecloth flat under sunlight for natural heating or consult the manufacturer’s guidelines for specific care instructions.
How long should I use these methods to remove wrinkles from a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth?
The duration required to effectively remove wrinkles from a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth can vary based on the chosen method and the severity of the wrinkles. Here’s a guide to understanding the time needed for various wrinkle removal techniques:
• Ironing: If using an iron with a cloth as a barrier, start with short intervals of about 10 to 15 seconds per section. Gradually increase the time if necessary, ensuring the iron remains on a low-heat setting to prevent damage.
• Hairdryer or Heat Source: When using a hairdryer or gentle heat, aim for intervals of approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute per section. Continuous movement and checking for heat tolerance are crucial to prevent overheating.
• Steam Methods: For steaming techniques, allocate around 3 to 5 minutes for thorough steaming across the tablecloth, ensuring the steam covers the wrinkles evenly.
• Natural Methods: If using natural heat sources like a steamy bathroom or sunlight, give the tablecloth approximately 10 to 15 minutes under these conditions, checking periodically to avoid overexposure.
Can I fold or roll the tablecloth after removing wrinkles without causing new ones?
Yes, you can fold or roll the tablecloth after removing wrinkles to store it without causing new creases or wrinkles.
When folding the tablecloth, use a gentle and methodical approach. Lay it flat on a clean surface, ensuring there are no existing creases. Slowly and loosely fold the tablecloth, avoiding sharp creases or tightly pressing the fabric together. Opt for larger, gentle folds to prevent the formation of new wrinkles.
In conclusion, removing wrinkles from a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth requires a delicate approach to prevent damage to the vinyl surface. Employing a handheld garment steamer on the lowest heat setting or a hairdryer on a low, cool setting can effectively release wrinkles without affecting the vinyl backing.
Alternatively, gently smoothing out wrinkles with your hands while applying low heat from a hairdryer can aid in wrinkle removal. It’s crucial to avoid direct contact between the heating element and the vinyl surface to prevent warping or melting.
Following these careful methods and testing a small, inconspicuous area first ensures successful wrinkle elimination while preserving the integrity of the flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth.